Nantwich Town 2-0 Stourbridge: Cole’s sweet strike seals morale-boosting victory

Clayton (no.9) was cool and collected before finishing his opportunity to open the scoring.

A debut strike from Jordan Cole saw Nantwich Town claim a 2-0 victory over Stourbridge in a dominating display at the Weaver Stadium on Wednesday night.

Cole, who signed from Newcastle Town earlier on in the week, came on as a second half substitute. Within ten minutes had doubled the Dabbers’ lead with a fine long range effort following Harry Clayton’s first half finish.

The hosts were convinced they had taken the lead early on as Clayton’s volley sailed over the advancing figure of goalkeeper Matt Gould, before striking the crossbar and bouncing down over the line.

However the linesman, who was behind play, ruled it to have not gone in – allowing Stourbridge to clear their lines.

Stourbridge clear the ball off their line in the 11th minute

A collective sigh of relief for Stour as Christophorou cleared the ball off the line after the hosts had a goal wrongly disallowed as play was allowed to continue. (All pictures sourced: Jonathan White)

Warning signs not enough as deadlock soon broken

Matt Bell’s probing through ball found Clayton advancing on goal and the former Kidsgrove man calmly slotted the ball past Gould to break the deadlock.

Stourbridge began to find their way back into the game in the final ten minutes of the half, but again the Dabbers defence were comfortable with any attacks the visitors had.Two minutes after the restart, Luke Benbow wasn’t far off finding the net as his overhead kick flew wide of Will Jaaskelainen’s near post. But much like the first-half, the second period continued to see the Dabbers in the ascendancy as more good link-up play between David Forbes and Clayton saw the latter shoot wide from the edge of the box.

Manager Dave Cooke then made a double substitution as debutant Cole replaced Forbes while Jamie Morgan came on for Clayton McDonald – who looked to have pulled up with an injury. It didn’t take long for Cole to make an impact either. Within ten minutes of coming on, he latched onto Clayton’s neat flick before firing into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

The goal was nothing more than the Dabbers deserved and they looked for more as the impressive Curtis Strong was denied by a goal-line clearance after the winger had picked the ball up just inside the Stour box.

The closing stages of this encounter offered little in terms of clear-cut chances, with the Dabbers comfortably seeing out the game to claim all three points. After this result, they have moved up four places to 18th in the table.

Next up for Cooke’s side is this Saturday, as they travel to Halesowen Town for another league fixture with a 3pm KO.

NOTE: This is not my own published copy, instead an edited piece for a Uni assignment. Original here. 

For any questions you may have, email:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.