Bohemian 2-2 Finn Harps: Timlin’s stoppage-time equaliser saves nine-man visitors


After witnessing their slender advantage evaporate without a trace at the start of the second-half, nine-man Finn Harps clawed their way back from an improbable position, snatching a point against Bohemian in what became a frenetic Premier Division clash at Dalymount Park.

Harps haunt hosts with sub-inspired equaliser at the death

McGinley blows a kiss to the fans as he celebrates his teammate’s last-gasp equaliser

Hard done by early on in the game with a dubious sending off just seven minutes in, nine-man Finn Harps somehow managed to emerge from Dalymount Park with a gritty point and stoppage-time equaliser from substitute Mark Timlin, sending their hosts into a state of despair.

Referee Sean Grant essentially killed this game before it could become a contest sending off Harps forward Eric McWoods seven minutes in for an off-the-ball incident with Tyreke Wilson, which didn’t warrant more than a warning. Wilson’s reaction convinced him it was more sinister.

Keen to assert his authority here, the official did not hesitate in making this a stop-start affair and that suited the visitors with their numerical disadvantage. It was even sweeter once Rory Feely fouled Filip Mihaljevic in the area, the Croatian slotting home their opener 21 minutes in.

However, it felt they were fighting a losing battle. Their captain, David Webster, was stretchered off before the half-hour mark after sustaining a serious-looking muscle injury.

Two soft bookings were shown before the interval and while already walking the proverbial tightrope, that proved key as Bohemians brought urgency and renewed zip after the restart.

Despite defending valiantly, there was a sense of inevitability about what was to come. So it proved. They were overwhelmed by their hosts, sinking without a trace. Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe was brought down by Robert Slevin, presenting Bohs a chance to equalise.

Dawson Devoy levelled the scoring with his second spot-kick in as many weeks, but there was no time to celebrate. They wanted more.

Six minutes later, Alistair Coote’s thunderbolt from a corner saw Bohemians wrestle back control. It travelled so fast Harps goalkeeper Mark McGinley couldn’t move, it whizzed past him.

But it was his 74th-minute save with an outstretched leg onto the far post from Promise Omochere which proved decisive, giving his side a puncher’s chance of an unlikely leveller.

Ironic jeers reverberated around the ground after Ryan Rainey received his second booking and was given his marching orders in stoppage-time, but there was still time for one more twist left.

Bastien Hery, Yousef Mahdy and Mark Timlin – all late substitutes – combined before the latter’s touch split the Bohs backline and gave him space to apply the finish to an intricate passing sequence, sending their bench into pandemonium. Never has one point felt quite like three.

Picture source: — this coverage originally featured here


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.